The CP Nel Museum is a museum in Oudtshoorn, South Africa, which houses exhibits depicting the role of the ostrich trade in the town’s history, as well as the cultural history and lifestyle of the people of the Little Karoo region, as it was during the Victorian era and early 20th century.
The original building was designed and erected in 1906 by a local British architect, Charles Bullock, and was opened in 1907 as the Oudtshoorn Boys’ High School. A school hall was added to the building in 1912 by J.E. Vixeboxse.
By 1963, when Oudtshoorn’s single-sex schools were amalgamated, the building was in such a state of disrepair that it was almost demolished. However, a petition by the school’s alumni convinced the National Monuments Commission to withdraw this recommendation. The Education Department decided instead to sell the building. It was renamed in honour of Colonel CP Nel, who had bequeathed a valuable collection of antiques to the public. These antiques were transferred to the building in 1972, and the CP Nel Museum was officially opened.
In 1979, the building was declared a national monument.