Gansbaai is one of only a very few working fishing villages left in the Western Cape. The fishing industry dates back to the earliest settlement days in Gansbaai when Johannes Wessels erected the first temporary dwelling in 1881 next to the fresh water fountain on the spot where the old harbour is now.
It was named Gansgat (goose hole) after the colonies of Egyptian geese that congregated around the fountain. The name was later changed to the more respectable Gansbaai (Goose Bay). Other nomad fishermen soon followed suit and laid the groundwork for a thriving fishing industry that even today is the biggest employment-generator in Gansbaai.
Hawe Weg, Gansbaai, 7220